Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Getting Older

I am starting to feel the subtle vibe that I am out of the loop. I am suspicious that this is due to the fact that I'm getting older. This feeling began a few weeks at my work when a little boy and his mom came in the store. He was absoluely cute as a button, and I just wanted to reach down and pinch his cheeks ( geez, maybe I am getting old) Did I actually just type pinch his cheeks? Anyway, he needed a New King James Bible for school, so I took him over to the Bible wall to pick one out. He told me he is going to Alabama Christian Academy and will be in the second grade. I told him that I myself had gone to ACA in the second grade, and I remembered his teacher. She worked there when I was in school.I just stood there with this big smile on my face quite pleased with myself for being able to identify with him. The kid just stood there with his mouth hanging open and after a long pause said, And she still works there . He looked shocked, and, I suddenly remembered that to a little kid, I must look ancient at the ripe age of 23. The only one having a harder time was the boy's mother, whose face turned bright red and suddenly remembered an urgent appointment she had to run too. Am I suprised that the woman is still there and has not retired, well, maybe, but it's still the principle of the thing. Who am I really kidding, of coarse to an 7 year old, I look ancient. I'm old enough to be the kid's mother!

No comments:

Post a Comment